Monday, November 2, 2009

New Horizons


My husband and I are looking for new jobs. At the moment we are interviewing with a school in Accra, Ghana. Talk about learning!! They want me to be the High School Librarian! Yes, me. The very same person who was a kindergarten teacher for 25 years. The highest grade I taught was grade 3 until I worked in the library and now I teach grade 5. 
At first I was a bit amazed that they would ask, but than I realized just how exciting and new and fun it could all be. I may not have ever taught teens, but I have two boys who have been teenagers. In fact one still is. I have gotten to love working with teens and just think of the learning curve. I have to do my CSU Professional Experience coursework and hope to spend 10 day in the HS library with Matthew Schaffer, our new HS librarian. I guess I should also spend time with Kate Hodgson in the MS. The fact that over the last two years I have been doing my masters, gives me a "can do" attitude. Bring on the challenge!
The Lincoln Community School in Ghana http://www.lincoln.edu.gh/ is a small (600 kids) IB school in the city of Accra. Beaches close by and clean air. Accra, the capital of Ghana, is an English speaking, democratic, politically stable and economically growing country in West Africa. Along the Atlantic Coast are miles of palm-fringed beaches. The interior offers tropical forests, savannah, wildlife parks, and the culture of ancient African kingdoms. An array of African art and handicrafts can be found throughout the country. Accra (3.5 million people), is located on the Gulf of Guinea. It is a friendly and vibrant city. Its residents enjoy a tropical climate with a constant breeze, sunshine and clear air. The temperature ranges from 21-30 degrees celsius throughout the year.
Did you notice that I said "clean air" twice?

No comments:

Post a Comment