Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Leadership, Leadership Everywhere!

For the last two days I did a workshop on Restitution which is a classroom management program which creates conditions for the person to fix their mistake and return to the group strengthened. We talked about creating the conditions for change from cognitive change to personal change to system change, etc. It all connected to what I have been reading about in Fullan's book. The chart that I was looking at was linear, but I knew that it needed to be a cycle that could recycle back during any period within the system. Not only was it not linear, but different division and even individuals can be on different paths at different times. It is an individual continuum for everyone in all initiatives.
We also talked about three types of organizations: Conventional, Congenial, and Collegial. This is something that I have read and worked with in Garmston's book: THE ADAPTIVE SCHOOL: A SOURCEBOOK FOR DEVELOPING COLLABORATIVE GROUPS. I have talked to our principal about the idea of our school being to congenial and that it is difficult to get constructive feedback face to face because we all want to be "nice". I would love to see our school engage in some rigorous cognitive conflict.
During this workshop we also talked about groups in the change process from the converted, open, fearful, to the resistant. This is also in the Dufour's book on Professional Learning Communities. The words are a bit different but the meanings are the same.
I am not sure why I am so surprised that there is so much overlap with leadership and management systems. Leadership is such a broad topic that I am sure I could find makes connections school-wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment