Sunday, April 3, 2011

Add Kindles and ipads to the Mix?


  
  

Interesting the idea of acquisition of resources, especially recently at Lincoln Community School. In the past we have not had much choice. We do an order once a year and it comes in August. We have two small bookshops in town that can supply us with some items. They have an excellent African collection.

We recently brought 4 kindles and through word of mouth kids and parents have been taking them out. They are rarely available. The items I am downloading on the kindles are books that we do not have on our shelves that kids want to read. It is so satisfying to place a kindle in a student’s hand when they are excited that the next book in a series is instantly available.
All my orders are in for this year and I have already begun the next order. As I enter the new award winning books I am checking to see if they are kindle available and many are. I just can’t place them on the order and not download them immediately on to a kindle. If I wait it means waiting till August 2012 for that book or getting it now.
I plan on creating a proposal for next year to increase the number of kindles we have to 18 devices. The reason for this number is that every kindle book I buy can be placed on 6 devices. That means for around $10USD I get access to 1 book on 6 devises.  What a deal for creating a library for literature circles for students. We can have professional development for teacher in a book club, reading The Book Whispers.
The proposal may be that I spend next years library budget on buying electronic readers (kindles and ipads) and fill them with books and apps. My library shelves are quite full and this may be what is needed to stay more up to date with new ebooks and with the adding kindles and ipad to the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment