Sunday, April 3, 2011

Copyright in Africa? Is it anything like Indonesia?


When I got the Jakarta International School Library in 1992, there were books cataloged that had been copied from originals. I was told that it is so difficult to get books in Indonesia that sometimes we had to do this. The teacher librarians worked hard to replace these with original copies and delete all the copies of copies!
People think nothing of borrowing a book and having it photocopied for about $5USD. AND I have to admit that we brought many (100s) of video copy of movies and TV series and ps games.
So, what is copyright?
It looks like it is different in different countries. I never did search out the copyright laws in Indonesia even after being there 17 years. I just tried to do a better job at buy original resources for the library.
This may be something to look at in Africa, but more important what impact does it have on learning!
More later on this exciting topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment