Thursday, August 20, 2009

In the Beginning: What do I know?

Leadership?
Do I really want to be a leader? I have certain qualities to be a leader, but I can't take the heat. I love being a leader from the side and there are some parts of leadership that I enjoy. I think my personality is not reflective enough and I love to just jump in to projects sometimes without knowing all the details and the big picture.
In Fullan book my favorite quote so far is, "The main mark of effective leaders is how many effective leaders they leave behind." It is empowering to guide others in learning skills to lead in some capacity of their life.
Leadership for Rhona Polonsky Pre-ETL504
What I know to be true about leaders I respect, is that they must be attentive listeners who are willing to create dialogue. They are better off if they have strong interpersonal skills. Schools seems to work better in a more distributed type of leadership and good leaders build the capacity for others to lead. Leaders need to be teachers and learners and help instill life long learners in their school for everyone. A school is a learning institution for all, even parents. Schools are about people and leader should enjoy people. I once had a principal who always said she hated, dogs and people! She was someone you knew not to talk to before she had her coffee! Vision is important but they also have to be prepared to get off track and experience being side tracked and be okay with unclear paths.
Leadership learning here I come...

No comments:

Post a Comment