Thursday, August 20, 2009



Teamwork and Collaboration: Lesson Number ONE

I had my first skype meeting with my group of four. I think we need a name. After looking at the 4 learning objectives, I said to myself that I definitely do NOT want to do the first one on Organizational Theory. Who would want to read and do a topic on THEORY, it all sounds so dull to me. That topic was an absolute no go for me.
When I connected with my three partners, Rachel, Melanie and Helen, the beginning of the power point was already done and the topic was Organizational Theory. What do you do but shake your head yes and agree to move forward. I know that I did the right thing to say yes, but it is difficult to think that now my learning is focused in a direction that I am not really interested in. I try and make these projects speak to what is relevant in my life and learning. This could be very true for students who work collaboratively and for business people. In a workshop that I went to recently on Professional Learning Communities, Richard Dufour said, "Collaboration by invitation won't work."
In the end, I feel absolutely fine to move in this direction. It is what being an adaptable learning is all about and I know that the move forward will take me in directions that I may have never move towards on my own.
Thanks Team! I'm off to do some reading on Organizational Theory!

No comments:

Post a Comment